At almost any convention, but especially San Diego Comic-Con, you are guaranteed to run into at least one slave Leia. I've seen entire groups of slave Leias and even a steampunk version of the costume. You've got to brave to don it. Besides the midriff baring, the skirt has open sides. I think girls usually get thongs with clear sides to wear under it. It's appropriate though that self-confident women are the ones emulating Leia. She does kind of kick ass, and she didn't look so self-conscious about the outfit in the movie. Though Jabba meant to humiliate her with the costume, her strong character made it self empowering. Jabba realized that too late.
Now, that's a kick ass chick.
Slave bikini facts:
- The design was based on artist Frank Frazetta's Egyptian Queen painting.
- Can you believe it was only on screen in the original version for for 150 seconds?
- Within the Star Wars-universe, the veils were made of the luxury cloth Lashaa silk and the leather boots were made from jerbas hide, a Tatooine beast of burden.
- The costume came about after Fisher lamented the lack of interesting costumes for her character.
- In The Phantom Menace, a very similar bikini is seen on one of Jabba's slaves.
- Fisher said the costume was difficult to wear and is "what supermodels will eventually wear in the seventh ring of hell."
Leia's Metal Bikini - all inclusive outfit and comes in several color options for the metal finish and fabric
Miala.net - Great pieces and I can vouch for quality, this is where I got my Six costume
Ambitious enough to make one? Here are some guides from those who have done so:
- Tutorial by LisaFett - super detailed tutorial with great guidance on materials
- Slave Bikini Builders group on Yahoo
- Cut Out and Keep Tutorial - easy supply list and several photos
- Leia's Metal Bikini - links to tons of reference photos to help your costume building
Do you have a slave Leia costume? Have you seen an awesome one at a convention? Tell me about it in the comments.
Carrie Fisher and stuntwoman Tracey Eddon sunbathing in costume.