I visited Disneyland the first time when I was around 8 or 9 years old. The only memory I really have is hiding behind my cousin on the recently opened Splash Mountain, I held on for dear life as I was convinced I was going to fall out and be crushed under a fake log boat.
As you can tell, I survived.
I returned around five years ago. I figured I would go, have a fun and exhausting day, and maybe go once every five or so years after that. I wasn’t expecting to fall in love with the giant commercialized
Things I love about Disneyland:
- Dole Whip Float – a beverage from the stand in front of the Enchanted Tiki Room in Disneyland. It’s pineapple juice topped with a healthy dollop of pineapple soft serve. It is heaven on a hot day.
- The walkways of Adventure land after dark. The lighting is soft, the trees loom on your left, the shops are made to feel like a bazaar, you can walk through and fool yourself out of Southern California easily.
- The smell of Pirates of the Caribbean. It’s a mixture of chlorine, mildew, people, stale popcorn, and fake water. That sounds gross I realize, but it’s wonderful and so distinct. I wish someone could recreate it in bottled form.
- The quiet corner in Critter Country where you can watch the fireworks from the back, away from the thousands of people squished into Main Street.
- Food, food, food: the Polynesian chicken skewers from Bengal BBQ, garlic fries and ratatouille from Café Orleans, veggie burritos from Rancho del Zocalo, the popcorn, and the fusilli pasta from the Pizza Port. I plan my Disneyland days for optimum food consumption.
- The miniature versions of Cinderella’s castle, etc in Storybook Land. They make me squee. A lot.
- Every cast member I’ve encountered in five years has been nothing but friendly. And it doesn’t come off as insincere.
Do you like going to Disneyland? What are your favorite things?