Today is the birthday of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins! Huzzah for Hobbits everywhere! It is a day of celebration for Lord of the Rings fans everywhere. You can go crazy or keep it simple. Some suggestions for making it a great Hobbit Day:
- Eat often. Breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, multiple suppers. Try to eat six meals.
- Watch at least one of the films or take it to the next level and have an Extended Edition marathon. If I start now (I'm on PST), I'd finish tomorrow morning.
- Drink ale from your Green Dragon pint glass and raise a toast to the Baggins!
- Pretend it's your birthday and write a Bilbo style speech and send it to your friends.
- Walk around barefoot all day.
- Read the "Concerning Hobbits" chapter in Fellowship of the Ring.
- Cook mushrooms and tater (boiled, mashed or stuck in a stew) for dinner!
- Watch Leonard Nimoy sing the Ballad of Bilbo Baggins; better yet, share it with everyone you can!
- Treat yourself to this Middle Earth cookbook or look up some free recipes here.
- Pull out a pipe and enjoy some of the Shire's finest leaf.
- Write your very own Bilbo adventure and draw a fantastic map to accompany it.
- Build a model of Bag End. You can look at this fully decorated dollhouse size model for inspiration: miniature Bag End
- Plan construction of an actual hobbit hole, here are plans.
- Sing one of Bilbo's many tunes or read some of his poems.
I waited too long this year, but next year (or maybe in 2012 since the 22nd is on a Saturday), I am throwing an epic, themed feast under the small party tree in my backyard. I can't wait. For this year though, I'll read Fellowship of the Rings for a while and cook a very hobbit-y dinner.