|Photo by Dina Kampmeyer|
I started with sketches. Then I made the wish list of every prop and decoration I would want. I debated between a Kaylee coveralls costume and something Inara inspired (I'm obsessed with the peach dress she wears throughout the series). I got distracted by costumes and read about multiple ones for many more hours than I should have. I made a food and drink list. Oh, and somewhere in there I took a day to watch the show and movie again. I was only going to watch one or two episodes; six hours later I figured, why stop? It is the ultimate research after all.
My house was in a state of chaos the week leading up to the party. We moved furniture, removed pictures from the walls, and boxed things up. Theme parties are serious business. I made list after list, ran a painful amount of errands, and prepped what I could in advance. The real work came when my
The party came together. People walked in the door - about a quarter of the guests came in costume - and were amazed. I think we set a certain mood and really surprised folks with our attention to details. I was proud of mini-Serenity in my house. I gave as many people as I could the tour of the ship, the food table, and directed them to the bar (a friend even bartended for me - that made life easier). I had folks dressed like space cowboys wandering around my house nibbling on bao. After a few Mudder's Milks, I gathered partygoers around Wash's console, put on Jaynestown, and we sang a rousing round of the "Hero of Canton." We followed it with the theme song shortly thereafter. Then we kinda watched Jaynestown for a while, and everyone was okay with that. Yeah, it was the best party ever. I hope that everyone had as awesome of a time as I did.
|Pic taken by Adam Levermore|
Now for the nitty-gritty detail stuff.
- Bao - Saffron made it for Mal, you can buy it (or make it if you must) for your guests. Check out dim sum restaurants; they might sell it.
- "Good Dogs" - Marinated strips of chicken on a skewer, label with a cardboard sign
- Some Kind of Hot Cheese - It's the perfect kind of food to have on a buffet table at a fancy party. I used this fondue recipe and served it with bread and sliced apples.
- Strawberries - Ideally, you'd serve these in a box
- Fortune Cookies
- Core Planet Couscous - In the Visual Companion, one of the propmasters mentions using this in the first meal the crew eats together in the episode "Serenity"
- Fruity Oaty Bars - You can make granola bars, but from experience, one's I've bought are tastier. I found a kind with fruit and oats and cut the bars into thirds.
- Oriental Snack Mix - Mine came from Trader's Joes!
- Chocolate "Protein" Cake - I used two boxes of cake mix and four 8" round pans. I used dark chocolate icing between the layers and a milk chocolate frosting on the outside. The messier you are the better. It's supposed to look that way.
- Mudder's Milk - You can make this version with wheat germ and stout for the sake of authenticity, or you can make White Russians. I went with the latter.
- Blue Sun - Double+ blue kamikaze shots
- Can't Take the Sky - Great site with screencaps from the television show
- Leave Me The White - Screencaps from the movie
- - Visual companions from the series - parts 1 & 2, great reference for costumes and props (the one from the movie is pretty much just the script with some images)
- LiveJournal Firefly Costuming community - plenty of historical posts with links to dig through
- Oriental Trading Company - Chopsticks, fortune cookies, dinosaurs, and parasols
- Ikea - Great for square plates, mugs, fabric (check their clearance/returns section), and serving trays
- India Overseas Trading Company - So many wonderful things on this site from hookahs to nautical stuff to Buddhas
- Quantum Mechanix - I got the Firefly blueprints reference pack, but they also have Blue Sun travel posters and lots of Firefly awesomeness!
- I also found things at Cost Plus and Party City. Friends let me borrow a lot of things, and I happened to have all the fabric.
And yes, I want to leave my house looking like Serenity.